Who we are
We, English National Opera and London Coliseum Limited use CCTV to monitor the Coliseum, other buildings under our control and their surrounds. Accordingly, we may collect, use and are responsible for certain personal information about you. When we do so we are regulated under the General Data Protection Regulation as retained in UK law, (“GDPR”) and the Data Protection Act 2018 (“DPA 2018”): we refer to GDPR and DPA 2018 as the “Data Protection Legislation”) in the remainder of this notice. For the purposes of the Data Protection Legislation, London Coliseum Limited and English National Opera are joint controllers of the processing of your personal information described in this privacy notice. This means both organisations work together to decide why and how your personal information is processed. It also means that they are jointly responsible to you under law for that processing.
The personal information we collect and use
In the course of using CCTV we collect the following personal information:
• Moving and still images of people in and close to our buildings and their surrounds
We do not deliberately set out to capture any special category data. However, our cameras may incidentally capture information which falls in this category.
We refer to the above as “CCTV Footage” in the remainder of this notice.
How we use CCTV Footage
We use CCTV Footage to:
• Prevent, detect or reduce the incidence of crime – for example, theft, criminal damage or assault on our staff.
• Reduce the fear of crime.
• Create a safer environment.
• Determine the cause of accidents within the Coliseum.
Who we share CCTV footage (Including your personal information) with
We will share CCTV Footage and extracts from the CCTV Log with insurers if there is a notifiable event, such as an accident within or close to our buildings and their surrounds.
We will record and share details and activities relating to those suspected of criminal offences under investigation with law enforcement or other authorities if required by applicable law.
We do not plan to share your personal information with any other third party.
How long CCTV will be kept
We will hold CCTV Footage for up to 28 days following the day on which we captured the footage, except where we have been asked to retain it for longer by an insurer or law enforcement or other authorities.
Reasons we can collect and use your personal information
We rely on legitimate interest as a lawful basis on which we collect and use CCTV Footage. Our legitimate interests are minimising the losses and costs to our business caused by criminal acts committed on or near our buildings and their surrounds, and to assist in reducing the harm caused by accidents within or close to our buildings and their surrounds.
We may also process your personal information to comply with our legal and regulatory requirements.
Our lawful basis for processing special category personal data if there is substantial public interest in processing this information for the purposes of detecting and preventing crime.
Under the Data Protection Legislation you have a number of important rights free of charge. In summary, those include rights to:
• fair processing of information and transparency over how we use your use personal information
• access to your personal information and to certain other supplementary information that this Privacy Notice is already designed to address
• require us to correct any mistakes in your information which we hold
• require the erasure of personal information concerning you in certain situations
• receive the personal information concerning you which you have provided to us, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit those data to a third party in certain situations
• object in certain other situations to our continued processing of your personal information
• otherwise restrict our processing of your personal information in certain circumstances.
For further information on each of those rights and other rights, including the circumstances in which they apply, see the Guidance from the UK Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”) on individuals’ rights under the Data Protection Legislation.
If you would like to exercise any of those rights, please:
• email, call or write to us – see “How to contact us” below.
• let us have enough information to identify you – for example, date and time you visited our buildings and their surrounds, personal characteristics (hair length and colour), and clothing worn/
• let us have proof of your identity and address (a copy of your driving licence or passport and a recent utility or credit card bill), and
• let us know the rights to which you wish us to address.
Keeping your personal information secure
We have appropriate security measures in place to prevent CCTV Footage and/or CCTV Log from being accidentally lost, or used or accessed in an unauthorised way. We limit access to CCTV Footage and/or CCTV Log to those who have a genuine business need to know it. Those processing your information will do so only in an authorised manner and are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
We also have procedures in place to deal with any suspected data security breach. We will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected data security breach where we are legally required to do so.
How to complain
You have the right to make a complaint at any time to the ICO. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach the ICO so please contact us in the first instance. The ICO can be contacted at https://ico.org.uk/concerns/ or telephone 0303 123 1113.
Changes to this privacy notice
This privacy notice was published on 07/08/23.
How to contact us
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or the information we hold about you, please contact us using any of the following
• Email [email protected]
• Telephone number: 020 7845 9300
• Postal address: London Coliseum St Martins Lane London WC2N 4ES
Do you need extra help?
If you would like this notice in another format (for example: audio, large print, braille) please contact us (see ‘How to contact us’ above).
London Coliseum Limited & English National Opera