Learn how to compose with ENO!
A new music making programme for KS3 and 4 classes, Finish This… uses artistic work from the ENO as a springboard for young people to create their own compositions.
Finish This… invites your class to respond to a specially commissioned piece of opera and tasks them with creating a new piece of music in response, finishing the story or musical themes in their own compositions. In doing so, pupils gain an understanding of how music is created, develop composition and group work skills and deepen their engagement with music as a means of storytelling.
ENO provides film resources, lesson plans, a class toolkit and online Teacher CPD – all co-designed with teaching specialists and artists. We aim to give teachers the tools and support to confidently deliver a fun and creative approach to composition work whilst supporting many of the key skills set out in the music curriculum.
FREE to all secondary schools nationwide.
Finish This… is now open for bookings. To book, please complete this form.
Why sign up?
- Increase their confidence in creating their own work, developing an understanding of the artistic process
- Develop key musical skills set out in the curriculum such as improvising, composing, and developing an understanding of different genres of music
- Each receive their own composition workbook/diary which will guide them through the process of creating their own music
- Produce a piece of recorded music to mark and celebrate their achievements
- Access high-quality digital teaching resources and training materials co-designed by artists and teachers
- Receive CPD and ongoing support from ENO Engage team
- Develop their confidence in delivering composition work
Find out more by watching our trailer...
“It is a unique project in terms of what it is asking the students to do, and has high expectations of them as musicians which gives them confidence.”
“Absolutely brilliantly organised and delivered. The students were engaged and inspired.”
“It exposed our students to opera, which isn’t something they see often. It also showed them that they can be part of this type of music without having to sound the same as opera [singers].”
– Quotes from KS3 teachers who have taken part in the project
How does it work?
Finish This… is structured across 5 sessions, each lasting approximately 60 minutes.
The programme adopts a flexible delivery model to suit you. You might choose to deliver one session a week over a few weeks or deliver it more intensively across a few days.
The programme launches with a CPD webinar for teachers, available from the 5 September, to either watch live after school or to catch up later. You will be guided through the sessions and resources. CPD attendance is an essential part of the programme and attendance is strongly recommended.
- A short film especially commissioned for young audiences, presenting the opera piece ‘Under The Same Sky’
- Teacher pack, with lesson plans and guidance from teachers
- Student facing class presentation for each lesson
- CPD webinar for a step-by-step guide through the programme and resources
- Live Q&A and check in online session and ongoing support from the ENO
- Webpage to share and celebrate compositions created
Each class will be able to upload their compositions to the ENO Finish This celebration page and then receive an ENO certificate for pupils.
“We loved being able to create a piece of music that was true to us as a school”
– KS3 teacher
Find out more
To read a summary of our pilot programme evaluation, please click here.