Cast change - Friday 13 March
Due to illness, Anthony Michaels-Moore will not perform at this evening’s performance of La traviata
The role of Giorgio Germont will be performed by Charles Johnston, and the role of the Marquis will be performed by Christopher Speight.
Verdi's La traviata
'A totally convincing piece of music theatre' The Guardian
Violetta is the high-flying but fragile courtesan forced into surrendering all hope of personal happiness in order to protect her lover’s reputation.
A moving tale of society and morality, this masterpiece combines characters you care about with powerful melodies you’ll recognise right away. It makes for one of the most emotionally engaging and popular operas of all time.
- Running time: 1hr 55mins (without interval. Please note that latecomers will not be admitted).
- Language: Sung in English, with lyrics projected above the stage
- Starring: Elizabeth Zharoff as Violetta, Ben Johnson as Alfredo and Anthony Michaels-Moore as Germont. See below for the full cast and creative team.
- Conductor: Roland Böer
- Director: Peter Konwitschny
- Revival Director: Mika Blauensteiner
La traviata in 3 facts
1. La traviata translates to ‘The Fallen Woman’
2. La traviata is based on La dame aux Camélias, a play adapted from Alexandre Dumas’s novel
3. It features one of the most famous drinking songs in the world: Libiamo ne’ lieti calici, which means ‘Drink from the joyful cup’
Want to learn more about La traviata? Join a pre-performance discussion by opera expert Aoife Monks on 13 February.
Tickets for the talk cost £5 (£2.50 for concessions) – you can add them to your booking once you’ve chosen your performance.
See La traviata live in your local cinema
A live performance of La traviata will be shown in cinemas across the UK on 11 March, as part of the ENO Screen. For more information, visit your local cinema's website.
La traviata cast and creative team
Conductor Roland Böer, Director Peter Konwitschny, Revival Director Mika Blauensteiner, Designer Johannes Leiacker, Lighting Designer Joachim Klein, Librettist Francesco Maria Piave after Alexandre Dumas fils, Alexandre Dumas fils, Translator Martin Fitzpatrick
Violetta Elizabeth Zharoff, Alfredo Ben Johnson, Germont Anthony Michaels-Moore, Flora Clare Presland, Gaston Paul Hopwood, Baron Douphol Matthew Hargreaves, Marquis d’Obigny Charles Johnston, Dr Grenvil Martin Lamb, Annina Valerie Reid
Co-production Opera Graz, Austria. Original Production supported by the English National Opera Trust.
For performances of La traviata on 5 & 11 Mar, please note there will be cameras present in the auditorium for the ENO Screen live relay. Signed performance: 24 Feb.