At English National Opera we are committed to nurturing talent. The ENO Harewood Artists programme enables 12 exceptionally talented British and British-trained singers to perform with English National Opera while receiving specialist coaching, support and guidance for 2-3 years.
Each Harewood Artist undertakes a programme of vocal and language training, is coached by experts in their repertoire and is fully supported through auditions for career-building performance opportunities with ENO, around the UK and abroad.
This season’s Harewood Artists will take on 20 leading roles at ENO, from Iolanthe in Iolanthe and Susanna in The Marriage of Figaro.
The programme is led by members of the ENO Casting and Music team who oversee the programme and ensure that its members receive a variety of training, including coaching sessions with ENO’s Head of Vocal Coaching & Development, Jane Robinson, consultant coach Michael Pollock and ENO music staff.
In addition, Harewood Artists may receive dramatic, movement, performance psychology and language coaching, as well as opportunities to learn from distinguished artists and leading figures from the operatic world, including Ann Murray DBE, Brindley Sherratt and Dame Felicity Lott.
The Harewood Artists for 2017/18 are:
- David Ireland (Barber of Seville; joining from the National Opera Studio)
- Božidar Smiljanic (La traviata; joining from the Royal Academy of Music)
- Katie Stevenson (Marnie; joining from the Royal Academy)
- Elgan Llyr Thomas (Turn of the Screw; joining from Scottish Opera)
- Katie Coventry (The Marriage of Figaro, Marnie)
- Andri Björn Róbertsson (Satyagraha, A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
- Eleanor Dennis (Aida, Marnie, A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
- Matthew Durkan (Barber of Seville, Marnie, A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
- Rhian Lois (The Marriage of Figaro, Turn of the Screw)
- Soraya Mafi (A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
- Samantha Price (Iolanthe)
- David Webb (Aida, A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
History of the programme
The programme was established in 1998 as a means of providing a full-time training and performance scheme for talented singers at the beginning of their careers. This allowed them to continue their technical development within the professional environment of a repertory opera company.
Former Harewood Artists include Sophie & Mary Bevan, Allan Clayton, Elizabeth Llewellyn, Elizabeth Watts, Iain Paterson, Leigh Melrose and Sarah Tynan.
The name honours the long-standing support and leadership of the company by Lord Harewood, whose work at ENO spanned over 40 years. He made a huge contribution to ENO, and opera in general, during his remarkable life as Managing Director, Chairman and latterly President of ENO, and in overseeing the creation of Opera North.
Funding the Programme
The programme costs over £200,000 a year to deliver and is funded entirely through individual donations. Each November ENO runs a “Match Campaign”, which gives you the opportunity to support the ENO Harewood Artists and double the value of your donation.
This year have have £100,000 ready to be matched from Monday 20 – Thursday 30 November.
Four of our Harewood Artists are generously supported through Fellowships:
- Andri Björn Róbertsson – supported by the Behrens Fellowship
- Matthew Durkan – supported by the Nicholas John Fellowship
- Soraya Mafi – supported by the Bruce Tollis Fellowship
- David Webb – supported by the Mills Williams Foundation Fellowship
We would like to thank our generous supporters, whose donations make this programme possible.